Monday, September 16, 2013

The beginning of the journey

For those of you who do not know me let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am hoping that my experiences both good and bad might at least help one person change their life for the better. I used to think if I went back in time I would do things very differently. Since everything is connected, I realized that changing just one thing changes everything. If that is the case and I missed; having my two incredible daughters, meeting my beautiful and understanding wife or some of the amazing people who have come into my life I do not know where I would be right now. I do not claim to have all the answers but I believe I have some worthwhile things to share with you.
So that being said, let us begin.


From Flabby to 50(K)
“Taking back my life”


“We are what we imagine ourselves to be.”
Kurt Vonnegut Jr.


I purposely did not write this in order of events starting with childhood and ending at the end because life does not happen in a straight line. If you do not struggle you don’t get stronger, if you don’t lose you don’t learn to appreciate and if you don’t experience life you don’t really live life. I am not writing this to glorify my existence or to make myself feel superior, my hope is that someone will read this and decide that their life is worth living and pull up their bootstraps and make the changes needed to take back their life. This is not going to be all sunshine and lollipops since that is not the way life happens.

If you are still reading at this point, thank you and as I have told clients who have said to me; “you just don’t understand how hard it is”, “yes I do, and if you wake up in the morning breathing it is not too late to start changing your life.”

Let me start by saying I have always struggled with being heavy and battled with depression. I had the privilege of growing up in a time when stores had a “Husky” section in the boys department. Marked with a huge sign over it, and that is where my clothes came from. I had no interest in anything athletic until I was introduced to hockey during my sophomore year in High School. After that I began lifting weights, thinking I was working out. Sure, I developed some muscles and “shifted” some of my body mass around but I still did not have a beneficial exercise program and knew little about eating well. Fortunately or unfortunately for us is we see ourselves how we want to see ourselves. Time passes by, raising a family and making a living become the priority. So, I worked a lot and since it was a lot of physical labor I should be okay, right? Besides I am too busy to do much else so I don’t worry about my needs. Time goes by and more work, more stress and more responsibility and less taking care of me. As a result my weight continues to accumulate without being detected because I still have an image in my head of how I carry myself. Don’t forget I am doing physical work and I lift weights so I must be okay. That stress that I mentioned earlier is mounting and I am surrounded by a toxic negative environment at work as well as in my personal life. I always knew my blood pressure is borderline high (which is code for not wanting to admit it is high.)

I finally give in and see the doctor who puts me on a prescription and then increases it twice, followed by adding two others. Writing a prescription seems to be western medicines answer to everything, why teach people how to be healthy when you can give them a pill. Needless to say I threw away more little sheets of paper before leaving his office than I took with me. As time went by I began to realize that the medicine was not having an effect unless I did things differently…wait a minute if it is not doing anything unless I do things different, why don’t I make some changes and get rid of the medication which I know can be damaging my kidneys and liver? I knew what I needed to do I just did not know how to do it. It was time for me to take some control of my life or at least try to educate myself.


It was time to take back my life!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to keep reading! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Amanda~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy it and find something useful.

      Delete