Saturday, February 1, 2014

Screwed Shoes and a Frozen 5K

“Well, I screwed it up real good, didn't I?”

Richard M. Nixon




Screwed shoes and a Frozen 5K


Yes Mr. Nixon, but that is not what this story is about. It is however about finally getting to try putting screws in my shoes and running on an icy day. I know people who have done this and do it quite regularly for trail running. The problem is that even though twice I really should have done this, I didn’t. The reason being that the particular trail I was running was intimidating enough and I was apprehensive about adding any distractions to the run. Today however I was going for a run from home and not too far so I dug out my old running shoes from the donation bag and went to work. I used 3/8th inch hex head sheet metal screws and put 10 in the front and 4 in the back of the sole, concentrating on the mid foot area since that is where I usually land. Here is a link to see exactly how it is done http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm. I was downloading some music for my ipod and (yes I still have the ipod shuffle that my daughters gave me years ago) and working on this while I waited. Once both were completed it was time for a trial run on the icy streets and sidewalks.  





Slowly I made my way out of the garage and tested my footing on the driveway, felt pretty good so far. Now the GPS had located my position and I headed carefully around the corner and into the park and for a lap and a half around the lake. I am feeling pretty comfortable with the shoes and headed for the neighborhoods with no real plan. I run up the street towards the downtown area and take a right and another right coming back towards the park, still just winging it. As I make turns and up or down some hills I realize that the next time I go on a trail and it is slippery I will be fine with putting screws in my trail shoes and not give it a second thought. Once I get to the park I decide to head back around the lake and enjoy the scenery of this winter day that otherwise would have gone unnoticed from the safety of my warm home. This by the time I returned I had traveled 3.1 miles or 5K which is not a long run at all but it was a good run.

Sometimes I get frustrated with where I think I should be or what I think I should be doing at this point in my life. To be honest with you; on days like today I realize I am doing things that a few years ago I would have thought were impossible or even crazy. I guess I am kind of pleased that I am still progressing and growing at this stage of my life. Only time will tell where I go from here, but for now I will continue to allow the universe to shape and use me for whatever it has planned for me.

Don’t be afraid to get screwed and go for a little winter run!


Peace and have a quality day!

No comments:

Post a Comment