Monday, April 20, 2015

A Bag of Jelly Beans, Oscar the Grouch and a Friend I Will Never Forget

"A Friend is someone who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart."
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery ~


Jelly Beans, Oscar the Grouch and a Friend I Will Never Forget



This is a short and different post to honor a friend who I only knew for a short time but who made a tremendous impact on my life. I have written him a note and decided to share it for whomever would like to read it. His name was Paul and I knew him when I was in High School. Paul’s parents were told that he probably would not live to two years old. He had a brain tumor, was blind and half paralyzed, yet let none of this define him. Although he (in my opinion) had every reason to be angry at the world, he was always joking and smiling. I was there the day he passed and got a chance to talk to him. I will never know if he heard what I said but when I put my hand on his, he clasped my fingers ever so weakly. My hope for you is that some time in your life you will have a friend like Paul. No matter how short the physical part lasts.


Dear Paul,
It has been so very long since I talked to you last but I think about you all the time. From going for walks and later pushing you in your wheelchair (with Oscar the Grouch) to the store for jelly beans, there was never a dull moment. From getting into mischief together to later standing by your side while you moved on to a place of no more pain, I will never forget you. You showed us how to live to the fullest and never let other’s set limitations on you. For someone who had every right to be angry you always had a smile, a joke to share and you enjoyed life. I know that you had your bad days when you suffered but your light always shined through. There was never any having to guess what was on your mind because you told it like it was.




You had more guts and fight in your little finger than most people have in their whole body (myself included). There have been many times that I wish I could sit down and talk to you, hear some of your jokes and listen to you laugh at them. You always cracked yourself up! You were truly one of the most genuine people I have ever met in my life. My life has been forever changed by knowing you and I believe that I am a better person since our paths crossed. Thank you for being my friend and for allowing me to be yours. 

4 comments:

  1. Nice
    I did not know Paul but he sounds like a great guy. You were lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It was a difficult time but I have come to realize how lucky I was to have known him.

      Delete
  2. Paul was my neighbor growing up and yes he was very special to me and my family. We have fond memories and loved him very much. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to cherish people while they are with us, sometimes we don't realize the people who will impact our lives the most until it is too late.

      Delete