Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Some New Skills, Purge Some Habits and Lose my Phone in the Process

“Habit allows us to go from 'before' to 'after,' to make life easier and better. Habit is notorious - and rightly so - for its ability to direct our actions, even against our will; but by mindfully shaping our habits, we can harness the power of mindlessness as a sweeping force for serenity, energy, and growth.”
~ Gretchen Rubin ~

Some New Skills, Purge Some Habits and Lose my Phone in the Process


June 2017 brought a few changes, with July 1st bringing more fine-tuned changes. In June, I learned to ride and purchased my very first motorcycle. And of course, the gradual process of starting small went out the window when I decided that this “someday” had taken many years to get here. With my hand shaking, I signed paperwork for a 2014 Harley Davidson FXDC103 which is a Dyna Custom Superglide. It was much more bike and money than I planned on, but when you consider how long I wanted this, tomorrow is not promised and you only live once, I did it. Yes, you just heard me justify it but to be fair, every reason I did not do it before, were other people’s reasons.

Me and my Superglide
Another area that I began to work on was to reconnect my mind, body, and spirit. I got back in the gym a few days a week, I cut out a lot of crap food, and have not had any alcohol in five days. 
I will continue to work on nutrition habits as well as increasing the intensity and frequency of my workouts in the gym. My plan is to continue to focus and avoid as many toxins for the next few weeks until I relax them for my birthday weekend. By then I will have the proper tools in place to be in much better control of my life.

I have been gradually increasing my range of skills and experience on the bike as well. Yesterday, I went on the highway for the first time; I rode to where I work because I plan on riding it to work this week. I received one more expensive lesson, that I can’t forget my uninsured phone in my side pants pocket while riding on the highway. So, yes I got to cut my ride short and buy a brand new phone that now has insurance. It was not a complete waste of time though since the Verizon store did not open until 11:00, I went to the gym which is on the way.


 The other thing I have been avoiding is Facebook. It is a shame in some ways because it is the main link to keeping in contact with some people. The downside of the Facebook faithful is that it can be a watered down cesspool of ego, negativity and trash talk. Unfortunately, if you share something on social media, it does not have to be accurate or even true as long as enough people read it. If you are famous or infamous, the news media will report on what crap you put out on a daily basis. If you disagree with a person’s viewpoint, you don’t have to prove yours, you only need to waste energy discrediting theirs. Enough of that for now.

If you know me personally and we have not talked in a while, let’s remedy that. If you are reading this for the first time (follow it if you like it) or if you are a long time reader, please drop me a comment and say hello and where you are from. It always gets me curious when I see that people from all over the world have read my blog at least once. Thank you for being part of whatever this is and feel free to help share this since I am not going to be on FB for a bit. 

Until next time,
Peace out

me 

No comments:

Post a Comment