Tuesday, March 10, 2015

We know so little about each other, but it feels like our souls have been friends forever.

"The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants."

~ Johnny Depp ~


We know so little about each other, but it feels like our souls have been friends forever


Since my last post I have begun a new chapter in my life, I have gotten involved with KC Pet Project as a volunteer. They are a wonderful organization dedicated to the quality of lives of Kansas City animals. They are committed to saving lives of animals and creating a no kill community in the Kansas City area. Their mission is: To end the killing of healthy and treatable pets in Kansas City, Missouri by using the most progressive and lifesaving programs and promoting effective animal control policies.
For the most part I thought I would walk some dogs and satisfy the lack of a dog in my life for a while. Well that is how it started until the Saturday that I went to help with pictures. Saturdays at the shelter are hectic to say the least with potential adopters, people whisking dogs in and out to get their pictures taken and all the regular activity. This Saturday was no exception until I went to kennel 60A to bring Odie out. I knew nothing about him except I saw immediately that he was shy and overwhelmed in the shelter setting. I got him out of the building and he cringed or jumped at every noise. I took him to the play yards where the photographer was and since he was nervous we went to the far back section away from everything.
 I believe he has found his home. 

We hung out there for a while and all he wanted to do was be close to me and get his ears scratched. Since we were way down the end we got overlooked for a little while which was fine because we were just hanging out. We did his pictures and after a little bit I had to take him back to his kennel, but I made him a promise before I did. He looked up at me, almost through to my soul and I promised him that everything was going to be okay. I had no idea how to keep that promise but he needed to know that his troubles were soon to be a thing of the past. Whether or not he understood anything I said I have no idea, but we connected that morning.   
I thought about him a lot after I left and looked up his bio and found out as much as I could about him. I was determined to get him adopted and started posting pictures. I sent my wife a text in the middle of the day that said “I want to adopt Odie” knowing that we probably couldn't for one reason or another. I was walking in to see her that night going over all the reason why I could not have what I wanted and she said “so you really want to adopt him? Maybe we could look into it.” Hmm, didn't expect that. There were a lot of things that have to happen if this is going to work and what better way to find out but to foster him while he does his heart worm treatment?
Leaving the shelter for a day out!

I talked to my wife about taking him out for the day; the first plan was to get him a bath since he got pepe’ lepued before he got picked up. We took him to an awesome place called Brookside Barkery and Bath (if you have a dog and live in the KC area please go see these people). By the end of this day he was settling into a kennel again but it was in our house, the fostering coming a little sooner than we expected. This took the cat a little by surprise so we are being careful to allow them both to acclimate and hopefully become good friends.
Kristen and Odie getting to know each other

Walking on the Trolley Trail before his bath
Bath time! 


On one of the walks I took him on in the first couple of days he was walking with his head down, like he does at times; we are working to build his confidence up. He looked up at me not unlike a child seeking approval and I told him that yes he was a good boy. He perked right up and pranced around me and then sat directly in front of me and looked again into my soul and this time I saw into his. He is a beautiful soul and for that brief moment, I thought I saw the soul of my very first dog and best friend for the first fifteen years of my life. 

Stay tuned for some more news and thank you for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, brought tears to my eyes, hope it works out that Odie is in his furrever home and you and your wife enjoy his love an company for many years to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this and for your well wishes. He is a great dog and is fitting in to our family nicely. I need him as much as he needs me!

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous dog Odie is! Hope you both gain a great deal of happiness from your new relationship - rescue dogs have always given us a great deal of pleasure. Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you look really close to him you will see the scrapes and scars of life. This is where we are most alike I think. We bear scars but try to be gentle.

      Delete