Sunday, November 8, 2015

Short-lived Escape from Reality to Rest and Recharge

"The gigantic tension before the shooting of an arrow, and the total relaxation seconds later, is my way of connecting to the universe."
~ Paulo Coelho ~


Short-lived Escape from Reality to Rest and Recharge

Over the past year and a half I have had a lot of struggles with anxiety, depression, and an overall feeling of being overwhelmed. This has been magnified over the past six months where I been closer to my breaking point many more times than I am comfortable confessing to. Yet here I am putting it out there for the world to see, in the hopes that someone reads this and knows that they are not alone in this ever present struggle.  

In April my wife nervously told me that she was pregnant again after four miscarriages, in August I began a new job working seventy plus hours a week, in September my Mom passed away, and then my Jeep broke down. Besides all of that it was a piece of cake. Well, if that cake was made of crap...

We are getting very close to our due date and both nervously excited, but stress was definitely taking a toll. We needed to get away and unwind so we began the dance with work schedules. Desperately trying to squeeze in a weekend before the baby arrives. neither of us wanted to go somewhere busy, after all, that is what we were trying to escape.

Weekends came and went while life, work, and vacancies eluded us. One day my wife stumbled across a B&B in Jameson, MO called the Marydale Inn that had an open room for the Friday and Saturday after a twelve day stretch at work. It sounded nice and the pictures were inviting, but you never know until you get there what you will find. What we found was instantly feeling welcome and relaxed the minute we walked in and were greeted. 
One of the farm ponds. I caught 5 fish there

It is near Jamesport which is an Amish community, but far enough from everything that you can really unplug. I walked down to one of the farm ponds and fished for a couple of hours yesterday. I caught a fish on the first cast but the best part was becoming part of nature for a little while. Both days began with an amazing full breakfast that we shared with two very nice ladies that were here for the weekend as well. We even had a bagpipe performance on Saturday night by a friend of the hostess who was staying here as well. It is a take your shoes off and make yourself at home kind of place. 

Tomorrow is back to reality and the stress of everyday life but I can assure you that we will come back here and this was a much needed retreat from reality for both of us. It is time to refocus at home and at work and resume my role of husband, father, big brother, boss, coworker etc...but most of all, functioning human being. After all, I have a lot more responsibility coming my way. 
Photo by Phoebe Wilson

Thank you all for being part of my dysfunctional journey. Check out the link to the Marydale Inn below if you are looking for a nice getaway.  


https://www.facebook.com/Marydale-Inn-Bed-Breakfast-140119072690539/?fref=ts

www.marydale.com


No comments:

Post a Comment