Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Movement is Life ‘revisited’

“Pursue one great decisive aim with force and determination.”
~ Carl von Clausewitz ~




Movement is life ‘revisited’ 

Today has been a week since having the surgery. Although I have a long way to go; I can see the progress I have made in just a week. Last night I was able to go through all of my therapy exercises on my own. And when I am in the kitchen I sometimes leave the walker in the middle of the room where I can reach it while working around it.

Normal every day activities take longer to complete and you have to think things through before starting them. It is always funny and humbling to find the things we take for granted. This morning while the Physical Therapist is here we are supposed to take a walk outside. I feel like a kid waiting for the recess bell to ring. Not that I am excited about going out but my shoes have been under my chair for an hour already.

My dog is out with the dog walker right now getting some much-needed exercise and fresh air. He has been very patient with the situation even though he does not really know what to think about it all. First, I was gone for a couple of days and now there are new people coming and going every day. He is a good dog and keeps close tabs on me and what each person is doing to me. (He just got back and took up his spot right at my feet.)

Don't be jealous of my T.E.D. Hose


I have been picturing getting out in the woods on the trails again, which for some time I thought might be gone forever. I can’t wait to introduce Riley to exploring in nature. She already loves being outside so my wife and I hope to build on that enthusiasm. (I’ll be back, my therapist is here)
I’m back; she added four more exercises to me and I got to walk outside! I asked her how long I would have to use the walker and she said not much longer by how well you are doing. When we got back in she had me practice with the cane. She then told me to fold up the walker and use the cane unless I was going a long distance. In case you could not tell, there was a lot of excitement in that last sentence!



A very dear friend said one time that “Movement is Life” and she could not have been more right. It has been such a very long time since I have felt this much hope and enthusiasm. I am officially on the comeback trail starting NOW! Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

  1. Yes!!! You can(e) do it!! This post just made my freaking day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindsay! I know I have a way to go but I am ready for the challenge.

      Delete