Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Walking a fine line. Passion versus responsibility, and a job versus a way of life.


“Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.”
~Albert Einstein~

There is a fine line that separates happiness and sadness, responsibility and passion, good and bad, pride and ego, and inspired and stuck. Of course there are many other examples depending on a person’s current situation. I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently after some conversations with my sister while I was visiting. We talked about the possibility of being passionate about what you do for a living as well as how people approach issues they feel strongly about. Everyone develops their individual opinions and principles which is normal as long as they do not treat these opinions like gold that is too valuable to give up even a little or, like a solid wall unable to see the other side. Too often people base their “stand” on a subject strictly by the current situation. People get so hung up fighting what they do not want that they rarely support what it would take to make it better.

For a long time I have felt the struggle between doing what I have to do and what I want to do. Even though I enjoy very little of what I do for a living (to pay the bills) I seem to have few other options at this time. Don’t get me wrong I work hard and will always do my best but so many times I have asked myself over the years; “what is this all really for?” We have created all these companies and jobs so that we can be stuck in them while paying for things from other peoples companies. None of it really means anything in the big picture. The problem is by the time I figured this out I was caught up in the vicious cycle whether I wanted to be or not. I know that many people are in similar situations and some are a lot worse off than I am but that is not the point. I am not complaining, I am simply saying the system is set up to keep you in it and I want out.

So the next question is what is it that I want to be focusing my time on and what would I do if I could do anything? This is where being a personal trainer has allowed me to see glimpses of my purpose. I love to help people develop a better quality of life whether it is being able to participate in a physical activity, enjoy a special vacation or as simple as being able to walk around the mall with their family and not have to stop to rest. I would love to work with kids and help guide them through the always crazy teen years. Help them to develop confidence and compassion as they find their own passion in life. Maybe even bringing families closer together by helping each individual see how they fit into the whole picture. I would like to get kids involved in trail running, hiking and other outdoor activities to allow them to learn to respect nature. Basically I want to make a difference and not feel like I am wasting my time. Who knows if I will figure out how to make these things happen but I will do what I can and of course what I have to until that time.
We must remember that everyone is fighting a battle that we may know nothing about so be kind, commit random acts of kindness and do what you can to make the world better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment