Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The best way to learn something is to teach it (and live it)

“You just can't live that negative way.
You know what I mean. Make way for the positive day. Cause it's a new day...” 
~ Bob Marley ~




I recently had the opportunity to help a group of people get through a 90 day weight lose and exercise challenge. I must admit when it was first suggested that I post exercises, ideas and motivational things for them I was honored and a bit nervous. That is a long time to be positive every day, right? As it turns out it was a bit of a blessing as well What developed was a pattern of looking for something positive to post first thing in the morning. A while back I was told that the best way to learn something was to teach it to someone else and this was reminding me to look for good things. This does not mean that every minute of every day will be 100% positive but it increases the odds. If you look for the positive and learn something about yourself from everything you do, you never lose. This led to a two week project where we carried a piece of paper with us and made a note any time anything good happened, no matter how small it was, and we had to pick something we had been dragging around with us and let it go. I noticed things I may have not noticed or might have taken for granted if I was not focusing on the positive. So once again by setting out to help others I became the person blessed by having them there to show me this lesson.

My style of personal training and my approach to life is not in your face, no pain no gain, and I’m old enough to know what doesn't kill you might not only, not make you stronger but it can break you down. All of that being said I decided to approach this straight forward and honestly. If I was struggling I would say so while showing the group how I got through it and that everyone struggles. In the words of Rocky “It’s not about how hard you can hit, it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.” Very few of us move forward every day on our own. We must watch out for each other and give assistance and guidance where it is needed; sometimes that comes in the form of just being there for someone, not picking them up every time they fall.

There is hardly a better feeling in life than when someone tells you from their heart that you have helped them, or that they appreciate you. When you know that you have connected with someone and both have affected the path that is their lives. It has nothing to do with vanity because that is a tool of the ego; it is more a case of finding purpose and aligning with the universe. In summary I would have to say; it is more than fake it ‘til you make it, honestly look for positive and good in people and the world. If you are in need of support, give support to others. You get back what you give and what you focus on.


No comments:

Post a Comment