Friday, May 20, 2016

Life is Short and we are Gone in the Blink of an Eye

“The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.”
~ Jimi Hendrix ~

Life is Short and we are Gone in the Blink of an Eye

This morning the world lost a beautiful soul and I am more than finished saying goodbye to people I love. I have long wondered why she seemed to understand me so well when others did not. Although she was good at hiding it, I believe now that her soul was just as troubled as mine. It may sound selfish but I am not ready to deal with this at all. In less than a year I have lost two women who were vital to my existence.  I feel very much like the guy on the Don’t Break the Ice game with people slowly tapping away at the ice I stand on and that ice is getting shaky.



I have so many fond memories of Sister Nancy and will miss her always. One of my favorite pictures of us is her wearing her habit and me as a young boy. She told me once that she was so happy that she began to cry and I reached over and wiped her tear away. I wish I could have protected her from suffering any pain in her lifetime. She never once judged or questioned what I was doing and supported and loved me unconditionally. 



The fact that she was a Nun meant that she always had an image to live up to and the fact that she was a Sister in the Roman Catholic Church I’m sure made that image more difficult to uphold. She was a fun, loving, caring person who gave of herself and got little back in return.



If you love someone let them know because life is short and we are gone in the blink of an eye.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for this loss. What a year. So many downs and ups. I'm thinking of you and your family. Katy and I were just reminiscing about working out and running with you in KC. You are such a positive and inspiring person. Wishing you peace and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, you could have written those words for me. She just knew how to connect with people. I love that she wasn't afraid to have fun, in a dignified way of course. I still remember her jokingly saying that she was going to try on a snakeskin suit at a mall once. :) I too am so tired of saying goodbye to loved ones. She was a flower in a field of weeds. I love you. Hugs, Tracey

    ReplyDelete