Monday, December 2, 2013

Round One with the Loop-The sphere of self-confidence

“Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.”

~Vince Lombardi~


The past few weeks have not been exactly what my confidence needed getting ready to begin the serious training leading up to the 50K. First, a planned week off from running was also full of travel and then the next two weeks consisted of trying to shake a cold and getting used to new running shoes. The cold has caused a serious decrease in lung capacity and going all out in a completely different kind of road running shoe has been causing painful quads. I am getting used to them but I really need to get my mind focused again which is the hardest part. It did not help that I really struggled mightily with 10 miles of trail this past Saturday called the Winter Loop. To be fair but not making excuses; I ran the day before, it was a midday run, we ran about thirty minutes and stopped to help with a clean up on the trail for a while and this is a very tough and hilly trail and my legs were dead. I guess it is somewhat of a moral victory that I finished it but I have said before, I have had my fill of moral victories. I will get another chance at this loop next weekend and try to get a little more comfortable and build some confidence before the Alternate Chili Run on the 14th of December. Much respect goes out to people who not only run this loop regularly but some dominate it. I will work at it and get better at it but I have no illusions at this point of dominating it. This past week was a learning experience as to how much water and running fuel I need to carry with me and just how muddy and hilly this beast really is.

I am looking into dividing my training plan up with the 10 mile race in December and then signing up for a 20 miler on the same course in February (yes that is double jeopardy). By getting to the point of conquering 20 miles on this course I will be well on my way to the final stages of 50K training. I would be lying if I said I was not pretty intimidated by these statements and the challenges that lie ahead for me. But I guess if your dreams don’t scare you they are not big enough. This past four day weekend consisted of three days running totaling 20.5 miles and one day in the gym making my upper body as tired as my legs, I need to get back to work to rest up.

Round two with the loop should be coming up this weekend. I will be looking for all the motivational ideas I can find! Please feel free to share.        

1 comment:

  1. You ran that trail for the first time and finished on your feet. It doesn't matter how fast or how slow; you finished. Remember what you said over the weekend after the trail run Friday. "Nothing in KC can scare me now." I have done 8 road marathons and I would bet that I would struggle to do what you did. You can do it, you can achieve your goal it will just take time to get there. There will be setbacks along the way, but don't let them get you down. And when you need extra motivation, just remember that cute little cheerleader waiting for you at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete