Saturday, December 21, 2013

The reason we race isn't to beat each other, but to be with each other.

“A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding.”

~Steve Prefontaine~


People race for many reasons
Some for the metals, in search of the bling
Still others for speed, PR’s are their thing.
Myself, I care not and if I’m not wrong
The reason I race, is to feel I belong
There is a definite sense of unity
In a widely diverse community



After my morning run I read this quote by Steve Prefontaine and it inspired this poem and this post. It began thinking about why I have enjoyed the recent trail races so much. I can assure you that I have no delusions of grandeur because no matter what, I was not built for speed. So what sense does it make for me to even participate? I believe after pondering this a while I have decided that I can run for my health, to clear my head, to be at one with nature but these events allow me something more. There is the feeling of belonging to a community and the camaraderie that accompanies it. It’s still nice to run alone or with a friend at times for the reasons I previously mentioned. But since crowded places or going to parties are not our thing, I find that volunteering and running trail races is a good source of social interaction. Not to mention that I have met some pretty nice people along the way. As a matter of fact I just signed up to volunteer at the Run Toto Run 10 mile, 20 mile and 50K in February.

Since everyone around here is preparing for a weather apocalypse; tomorrow I am counting on snow covered streets and people staying in to make it that much more peaceful in the morning. If I have to run on the streets I like it to be as peaceful as possible. My wife and I will head out in pretty much any weather unless it is dangerous. I enjoy the looks we get from people sometimes, I simply smile and wave and they shake their heads like there is something really wrong with us. Who knows, maybe there is and that is okay too. So, this is just a quick note to say, find your happy place and go for a run!






No comments:

Post a Comment